Created by Amy on May 18, 2016
I feel as if everyone needs a recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese in their life. I grew up with a traditional version, but since becoming Vegan, I knew I needed to recreate my own version that still satisfied that spaghetti craving, and this recipe certainly does that for me!
- Prep Time: 12m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Total Time: 52m
- Yield: 3 1/2 cups
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green capsicum, chopped into small pieces
- 2 small red chilli's, chopped - optional
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp. white miso paste
- 1 c water
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 c cooked brown lentils
- 1 c fresh basil leaves
- pasta for 2-3
- nutritional yeast - optional
- Add olive oil into a medium saucepan over medium to heat high. Add onion and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add capsicum, chilli, and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk your miso paste with the water. Add this along with canned tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn to a low heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, add pasta to a large pot of boiling water, and cook following the packet instructions.
- Add your lentils to the sauce and continue to cook until they're heated through, before mixing in your basil leaves.
- Place cooked pasta into bowls, topped with the bolognese sauce, and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.