This is one you’ll want to keep around.
Let’s start with the veggies! Cauliflower and broccoli go perfectly together in this bake. They’re cooked so they’re soft but just al dente for that slight crunch.
Then there’s the sauce. Incredibly creamy thanks to the cashews which gives it that really silky texture when blended. It’s a simple sauce too with minimal ingredients and all you need to do is throw it all in a blender. Sauce done.
The crumb topping pulls it all together with it adding another element to the bake with it’s crunchiness.
Told you, you’ll want to keep this one around. Either for a side dish or even as a main served with some bits and pieces on side (ahem totally what I’ve been doing) and hey I’m eating it for lunch right now.
Make sure to cut the cauliflower and broccoli into small pieces (as shown in the photo above). If they’re bigger pieces cooking times will vary.
For the crumb topping I use sourdough but any bread of your choice will work fine.
When making the sauce, make sure you add half the garlic gloves first and go from there. I like to use 4 medium cloves, sometimes 5. I know everyone likes different strengths of garlic and they come in different sizes. You want a good amount though as the sauce is simple so all the elements are really important for flavour.
The same is for salt throughout the recipe. Make sure to season each element well.
Looking for dessert for after? You might like my Chocolate Custard Tart.
If you make this recipe, I would love for you to let me know how it went in the comments below (don’t forget to leave a star rating!).Print
A cauliflower and broccoli bake with a creamy cashew sauce topped with a crunchy topping. 12 ingredients and gluten free if you use gluten free bread.
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 1 piece of bread of your choice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely (about 1 cup)
- 1.2kg cauliflower, chopped in small pieces (3 1/2 cups)
- 600g broccoli, chopped in small pieces (3 1/2 cups)
- salt + pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blend, and blend until crumbs form. Add this to a bowl and set aside. Rinse the blender out to use for the sauce.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce plus one cup of water to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C (356°F) .
- Add oil to a large pan on medium to high heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the cauliflower and cook for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for a further 5 minutes, seasoning well with salt and pepper. If you notice the vegetables sticking to the pan, add splashes of water when needed. When ready the cauliflower and broccoli will be slightly soft but not completely cooked through. Transfer this to a casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables in the casserole dish and stir well so all the vegetables are coated.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over and bake for 30 minutes. Serve with whatever you would like! (or it’s great on it’s own too).
Keywords: vegan cauliflower broccoli bake recipe, cauliflower broccoli bake recipe