This is my newest dinner staple! It was inspired by my Creamy Vegan Garlic Mushroom Pasta, but instead of pasta I added brown rice, some peas and omgosh it is SO good! It’s creamy, garlicky and like a risotto but not a risotto 😛
For this recipe, you make a white sauce, blend it with garlic then add it to some sautéed mushrooms. Throw in the rice, peas and parsley and you have a really easy creamy rice dish!
As well as being vegan:
- it’s 12 ingredients
- takes about 45 minutes to make
- it’s gluten free
A note for you:
To get a really good garlic flavour, I blend raw garlic into the rest of the sauce ingredients. Start with a couple and then add to taste. When experimenting with this sauce, I found it so difficult to get a garlic flavour that stood out when cooking it first. At one point I had 5 tablespoons of cooked garlic and it still wasn’t enough! With raw garlic you only need two or three cloves depending on the size to get a prominent garlic flavour.
If you make this recipe, I would love for you to let me know how it went in the comments below (don’t forget to leave a star rating!).Print
A creamy garlicky rice dish with 12 ingredients, takes 45 minutes to make and is gluten free. Makes a great easy healthy dinner recipe!
- 2 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp cornflour*
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt + pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 garlic gloves, or to taste
- 400g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Add 2 tsp of olive oil into a large frying pan over medium to high heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for 4 minutes or until soft. Mix in the cornflour and cook for a further minute. Add 1 cup of almond milk, making sure that the mixture is smooth besides the onion. When it has thickened, add the remaining cup of almond milk along with nutritional yeast and 1/2 tsp salt. When this has thickened, add this to a blender (make sure your blender is heatproof or let the sauce cool slightly beforehand).
- Add the garlic and blend until smooth. Taste and add more garlic if needed, until you reach the strength of garlic flavour you would like. Set aside.
- Rinse and dry the frying pan. Heat up the remaining 1/2 tsp of olive oil (you could also use a small splash of water instead) and add the mushrooms. Cook them until they’re soft with any liquid that they have released has evaporated.
- Add the sauce to the mushrooms. The sauce will have thinned out a little from blending, continue cooking until it has thickened again. Add the cooked brown rice, peas, parsley, remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Making sure the heat is low to medium to prevent it from sticking. When it’s all heated through, it’s ready to serve.
*Here in Australia, cornflour is the same as cornstarch. I know it can be called different names in other areas of the world, but you want the flour that is for thickening purposes and is white (not yellow).
Keywords: vegan mushroom garlic rice, creamy vegan mushroom garlic rice