- Yield: 8 squares
chocolate brownie base:
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 5 medjool dates, pitted and chopped into quarters
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 cup rice puffs*
For the chocolate brownie base:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F). Line a 11cm x 22cm loaf pan and also a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add desiccated coconut to the tray and bake for 3-4 minutes, or until toasted. Keep an eye on it, as it happens quickly. You can also skip this step and use the coconut as is.
- When the coconut is toasted, add this along with the rest of the base ingredients into a high speed blended or food processor. Mix until the mixture sticks together. Press into the loaf pan, and set aside.
For the chocolate crackle:
- Add coconut oil and rice malt syrup into a medium saucepan on low heat, until melted. Take off the heat and whisk in cocoa powder. Add in rice puffs and stir until they're all coated in chocolate.
- Press the mixture onto the brownie base quite firmly. Freeze for 30 minutes or until set. Cut into 8 squares. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.