- Yield: 12 slices
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and at room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour*
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
for the chocolate and coconut topping
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C. Whisk almond milk and vinegar together into a large bowl. Set aside while lining a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- Whisk in coconut oil and vanilla to the almond milk and vinegar. Add in the coconut sugar followed by the rest of the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes up clean. Let cool completely in the pan.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE AND COCONUT TOPPING:
- Add coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla to a small pot on low heat, until just melted. Whisk in cocoa powder, and pour over the cake. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until half set. Keep an eye on it as you don’t want it to set completely, just enough so you sprinkle on the coconut without it sinking into the chocolate.
- Sprinkle coconut on top and refrigerate for a further 30 minutes, before cutting carefully into slices. Store in the fridge.