- Prep Time: 25m
- Yield: 16 slices
- 1 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats*
- 7 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (roughly 2 lemons) + zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- Line a 20cm square pan with baking paper.
- Add almonds to a high speed blender or food processor and pulse a couple of times to break them down. Add the buckwheat, and pulse again to break them down and combine with the almond. Add dates and blend until the mixture sticks together, scraping down the sides when needed.
- Press mixture evenly into the pan, and set aside while making the filling.
- Add the wet ingredients for the filling first into a high speed blender, this makes it easier to blend (you can also use a food processor). Then add in 3 cups of the coconut (saving the last cup makes it easier to blend), with the almond meal and blend until everything is combined. Add in the last cup of coconut and blend until the mixture is mostly smooth. It will still have some texture.
- Mix in the lemon zest. Spread the mixture evenly on top of the base.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until firm before slicing. Store in the freezer in an air tight container. Wait for the slice to thaw for a couple of minutes before eating.