- Yield: 16 squares
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats*
- 5-6 medjool dates, pitted and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
TOP - OPTIONAL
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
For the base:
- Line a 20cm square pan with baking paper.
- Add almonds to a high speed blender or food processor and pulse a couple of times to break them up a little. Add the buckwheat, and pulse again to break them down and combine with the almond. Add dates and blend until the mixture sticks together, scraping down the sides when needed.
- Press mixture evenly into the pan, and set aside while making the vanilla custard.
For the vanilla custard:
- Off the heat, pour almond milk into a large pot. Add the cornflour and whisk well to combine and remove any lumps.
- Whisk in the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the pot on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it thickens, stirring frequently and making sure to scrape the bottom to prevent sticking.
- Pour onto the base, and tap the bottom of the pan on a bench to remove any bubbles inside of the custard.
- Top with the coconut. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set. Cut into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.