Sooo this has been my lunch most days during the week lately, and the result of that, is having the perfect pizza toastie for you!
I go through phases where I get obsessive about the toastie maker then forget I have it for the longest time. Anyone else? Plus what do you guys call these? I’ve read some call it a jaffle but I’ve never heard that before now. Technically I call it a toastie toastie ?
Anyway merging a pizza into a toasted sandwich tastes awesome, you need to try it!
Here are some notes for you:
- hummus adds a creaminess in replacement of cheese, but vegan cheese is so good on this too!
- I use a toastie maker but I’m sure a normal sandwich press would also work perfectly fine.
- I use tomato paste with garlic, onion and herbs (the Leggo’s brand), but if you can’t find this you can add some dried mixed herbs to normal tomato paste.
Optional additional ingredients:
- chilli flakes
- fresh basil leaves
- dipping sauce of your choice – I love mine with tabasco
- Putting the tomato paste next to the hummus isn’t a good idea, or you may end up with a soggy sandwich. I add the tomato paste on one side, stick the spring onion and olives on – this way they don’t fall off, followed by mushrooms, tomato, salt and pepper. Then I add the hummus on the other piece of bread and stick the spinach onto the hummus so that doesn’t fall everywhere. Sandwich it all together!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it or tag a picture @amylecreations on Instagram and hashtag it #amylecreations. I would love to know how it went!