The recipe for my Vegan Creme Caramel is here! Woo!
I can’t even tell you how incredibly creamy this custard is. Seriously, I can’t. You need to make it! It pairs beautifully with the coconut sugar caramel sauce which is rich and decadent.
Aside from being vegan, they’re gluten free, soy free and oil free.
You only need 7 ingredients and as always with my desserts, it’s easily put together. Plus there’s no baking actually involved, only some stove top cooking as they set in the fridge instead.
Some notes for you:
When cooking the custard, you want a really thick custard consistency. This part’s really important because if it’s not thick it might not set firm enough.
I’ve done a million trials of these, and some come out perfectly, others with some cracks. Don’t worry, they all taste delicious.
If you make this recipe, I would love for you to let me know how it went in the comments below (don’t forget to leave a star rating!).Print
Incredibly creamy custard that goes perfectly with a rich coconut sugar caramel sauce! Gluten free, soy free, oil free + 7 ingredients.
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour*
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk, canned
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup (make sure it’s labeled gluten free if needed)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract, or to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the caramel sauce into a saucepan on high heat. Stirring regularly, bring to a boil then turn down the heat to low. The mixture should still be bubbling slightly. You want the flavour to become slightly more rich (be careful not to burn yourself as it is very hot). It will also darken in colour and thicken slightly when ready. Mine takes about 15 minutes all up.
- Take the caramel off the heat and divide evenly into 2 ramekins. Swirl the caramel around making sure the bottom is completely covered. Place in the freezer while making the custard.
- Off the heat, add the almond milk and cornflour into a medium pot and whisk together to remove any lumps. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients for the custard and place the pot on medium to high heat.
- Make sure to stir regularly, I like to use a small heat resistant silicone spatula for this. The custard will start to form first on the bottom, when you notice this happening, give it a whisk to make sure the custard stays smooth (continue to whisk now and then). When it starts to thicken, turn down the heat to low. Still stirring regularly, keep cooking until it’s a thick custard consistency (it’s really important that it’s thick or it might not set firm enough). Mine takes about 6 minutes.
- Carefully pour the custard over the caramel. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Once set, use a small sharp knife to go once around the outer edges of the creme caramels. Place a plate on top of each ramekin and carefully turn it upside down, lifting the ramekin off slowly. They’re ready to serve!
*Here in Australia, cornflour is the same as cornstarch. It is for thickening purposes and is white, not yellow.
Keywords: vegan creme caramel, vegan creme caramel recipe, vegan flan recipe