I’ve been loving this accidental pasta series, so I thought I’d start the year off with a new addition ☺️
As with the others, it’s a really simple recipe. You sauté some onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and salt until it’s cooked down. Throw this into a blender with cashews and some water. Back into the pan it goes along with pasta, basil and pepper. There you have it, a delicious creamy tomato pasta!
Isn’t it the prettiest colour too?
As well as being vegan:
- it’s 10 ingredients
- takes about 30 minutes to make
- it’s gluten free if you use gluten free pasta
Some notes for you:
Make sure to use ripe tomatoes, as the better quality the tomatoes, the better tasting the sauce!
I like to serve my pasta underneath a big handful of baby spinach or rocket. You could also stir the greens through the pasta at the end. You can really choose any vegetable you like though. I think broccoli would go really well here too.
I also like to sprinkle over some nutritional yeast when serving. This adds a nutty cheesy flavour that goes really well, but it’s totally optional!
If you make this recipe, I would love for you to let me know how it went in the comments below don’t forget a star rating!).Print
A creamy tomato and basil pasta! An easy dinner recipe with 10 ingredients that takes about 30 minutes to cook. Gluten free if gluten free pasta is used.
- 225g uncooked farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic gloves, minced (1 tbsp)
- 500g ripe tomatoes, diced into small pieces
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach or rocket to serve, optional
- nutritional yeast to serve, optional
- Cook your pasta according to the package instructions, but leave the pasta just slightly undercooked. Drain and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium to high heat. When hot, add onion and cook for 4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for a further minute. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Place on a high simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will cook down and become richer in flavour.
- Add the tomato mixture to a high speed blender along with cashews and 1/2 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Rinse and dry the frying pan. Add the sauce to the pan, making sure it’s on low to medium heat to prevent it from sticking. Add the pasta, basil and pepper to taste. When the pasta is heated through, it’s ready to serve. I like to serve mine on top of a handful of greens and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Keywords: tomato basil cream pasta, vegan creamy tomato basil pasta